Thursday, November 17, 2005

One of the responsibilities of having a hugely popular website like "Whatever Happened to Crazy" is that you have to give publicity to those lesser known commodities on the internet. With this in mind, I draw your attention to your friend and mine, Michael Dybicz, who has started a blog of his own. Titled Blog of An American, it will include ruminations on Zeppelin, Tolkien, and how awesome conservatives are. Mike and I typically correspond via e-mail multiple times in any given workday, and while my wit and charm haven't quite rubbed off on him as I would like, he'll definitely bring insightful commentary.



Another one of the responsibilities of this website is keeping it real. In that vein, we need to speak about the prevalence of Christmas music on the radio. I have to preface this by saying that there are few people who love Christmas music more than I do. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. However, we are not in that time of the year yet. It's Novemeber 17th, and Milwaukee's 99.1 has apparently decided that the Christmas season has begun and is playing only holiday music. Pardon my expression, but that's a crock of shit. At the very least, they can put this off until after Thanksgiving.

Obviously this is a ratings-driven move. People want to hear Christmas music regardless of the time of year. But when will it end? The Christmas season is endlessly metastizing, and I have no idea how to stop it. When will people stand up and put an end to this ridiculousness? Do we have to hear "Jingle Bells" in September? I love the birth of our Lord and Savior as much as anyone, but can't we agree to put away the music until at least Advent?



We come at last to our Rap Lyric of the Day. It's a damn shame I don't have any Christmas rap I could break out for this occasion. Instead, I'll give you some of my favorite lyrics from one of my favorite rap songs of all-time. Not only do I appreciate this song as one fo the best stories told through rap music (R Kelly's hip hopera notwithstanding), it also holds special memories for me. I still remember performing this song with my brother 10 years ago, two crazy white boys who thought they were much blacker than they really were. (Note: Matt played Warren G to my Nate Dogg.)

"Sixteen in the clip and one in the hole
Nate Dogg is about to make some bodies turn cold
Now they droppin and yellin it's a tad bit late
Nate Dogg and Warren G had to regulate"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home