Wednesday, November 02, 2005

(Note: Because I didn't write anything yesterday, you get an extra large dose of me today!)

My plans for world domination through the spread of my cult are slowly coming to fruition:

kaytee1322: thanks!
kaytee1322: i'll spread the word about the Church
kaytee1322: of Ryantology

Excellent.



So the season premiere of That 70's Show is tonight. My initial reaction when I saw the previews was, "Dear God, have they lost their minds?" However, I soon thought about it and I came to the conclusion of "Dear God, have they lost their minds?"

If you haven't kept up to date with the show, Topher Grace has left and it appears they're moving in the direction of an ensemble cast not really focused on anyone. Now that, I'm ok with. The characters in the show are very well-developed and can definitely carry on without Eric's character there. In fact, I most enjoy the aspects of the show that involve the interactions between the other characters (especially Red and Hyde). I think if they had done this the show would have taken a blow from the loss of Eric, but it still would have been funny and compelling television.

But apparently the creative forces involved with the show and FOX decided that this new direction wasn't interesting enough to hold viewers. Instead, they decided to HAVE A STRIPPER MOVE INTO THE FOREMAN HOUSE! What?!? I'm sure they'll make some half-assed explanation to add this new T & A to the show, but I'm sure I won't care. The whole idea is just so absurd. Lauren put it best when she said, "It's like they're jumping five sharks in one episode."

This just speaks to the larger trend of TV sucking ass. It's really not fair to just blame television executives, however. When they put on funny, creative, original shows, people often don't watch them. For example, Scrubs may be the best show on television, but it's on hiatus until Spring. And Arrested Development, which is quirky and at times groin-grabbingly hysterical, struggles to maintain and grow a fan base. Maybe people really are too stupid to appreciate good television. Then again, maybe they've been corrupted by years of Fear Factor and America's Funniest Home Videos. "Look Mabel, this guy's about to get hit in the crotch!"

So that's my rant for the day. Maybe it speaks more about me that I'm opposed to adding an attractive female character to a TV show. We'll have to tackle that issue another time.



And that brings us to our rap lyric of the day. Continuing of Monday's New York trend, today's lyric comes to us from my good friend Nasir Jones, who you may better know as NaS. Whenever I went to Queens to visit my grandma, I would always stop by the Queensbridge Projects to see my "homey" and hang out. Aside from the fact that I'm pretty sure he doesn't like white people, we got along very well.

I actually really like NaS, and although I'm certainly not an expert at rap, I think he's probably the most underappreciated rapper of the past decade. During his feud with Jay-Z, Jay-Z got more publicity and fame, but NaS was consistently better. He writes smarter rhymes and can flow just as well. To use an analogy that might resonate with some of my history buff friends who read this, NaS is John Adams to Jay-Z's Thomas Jefferson. While Jefferson gets all the credit, Adams was the rock of the revolution and the infinitely more important of the two when it came to securing American independence and making the United States into a viable country. So yeah, NaS is like that.

"I've been fucked over, left for dead, dissed and fogotten
Luck ran out, they hoped that I'd be gone, stiff and rotten
Y'all just piss on me, shit on me, spit on my grave
Talk about me, laugh behind my back but in my face
Y'all some "well wishers," friendly-actin, envy-hidin snakes
With your hands out for my money, man, how much can I take?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home