Monday, November 07, 2005

I have to start this entry with a shout out to Notre Dame. After going up 21-3 on Tennessee last Saturday, they let the Volunteers get back into the game and tie it at 21. Whereas past ND teams might have rolled over and died (especially ones coached by saint and civil rights martyr Tyrone Willingham), this team fought back hard and shut down UT the rest of the way to win 41-21. With just three games left in the season - against Navy, Syracuse, and Stanford - Notre Dame has a clear path to a 9-2 record, a BCS game, and a stepping stone to a 2007 national title run. Not bad for a team that was supposed to struggle so horribly because they had no talent.



So my wife has a blog too. Now I'm not saying every entry should be Ryan-centric, but I think it would certainly spice things up a little bit. As Bart Simspon would say, "Hey, she's just giving the public what it wants: Bart by the barrelfull!"



I'm going to start a new segment here entitled "Books!" It will be an update on what I'm currently reading as well as a synopsis and recommendation on the last book I finished. I'm currently breezing through The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time, by Michael Craig. Very interesting so far and I'll give you a full report when I'm done.

The last book I read was 1632, by Eric Flint. The premise is that a six-mile wide chunk of Appalachian West Virginia switches places with a similar piece of land in Germany in 1631. The book chronicles the transplanted Americans' efforts to create and spread a democracy throughout medieval Europe. If you can suspend your disbelief with regard to the crazy premise, it's a very interesting and engaging book. It's also the first of a series, which I plan to continue reading. If you like historical novels, this is an fun read with a unique feel.

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
-- G.K. Chesterton



For the rap lyric this week, the theme will be angry rap. You can't beat the irony of multimillionaire rappers yelling about how bad their lives are, how many people they kill, and all the other assorted defiance they offer. In honor of that, we'll start this week off with everyone's favorite angry white man, Eminem. While I find the fact that he hates everyone quite amusing, I do agree completely with him on his stance that blaming music for murders is retarded. Maybe I'll rant about that another time.

"And all of this controversy circles me
and it seems like the media immediately
points a finger at me (finger at me)..
So I point one back at 'em, but not the index or pinkie
or the ring or the thumb, it's the one you put up
when you don't give a fuck, when you won't just put up
with the bullshit they pull, cause they full of shit too
When a dude's gettin bullied and shoots up his school
and they blame it on Marilyn (on Marilyn).. and the heroin
Where were the parents at?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home